View Single Post
Old 02-25-13, 09:13 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
That probably has a 7 speed Free Hub body which is too short for cassettes with >7 speeds.
Isn't it also spaced for 145MM?
I took it apart and pulled off the MEGA 7 speed cassette and slid on the new SRAM 9spd cassette. Clearly the hub body is way too short to support the last couple of cogs. I stacked them up anyway to see how much of the locking (ring?) threads would engage. Not very many. I didn't bother to try tightening it as that would have just stripped it and with no splines to support the last couple of cogs, it would not be viable. This as Bill suspected, the body is one of the too short ones.

Is there a viable solution such as a specific longer body available to replace it. Is there a recommended part number or source?

The wheel is NOS Wheelsmith build 135mm 48-spoke tandem wheel I am desiring to repurpose and currently it is perfectly dished and well tensioned. A replacement 40-spoke wheel of simlar quality is currently running $300-ish, so I would like to avoid buying new but also want to avoid making the current wheel less that robust.

Any advice on best way forward and/or sourcing for a longer hub would be welcomed.
/K