View Single Post
Old 02-26-13, 04:41 AM
HvPnyrs

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^
Generally agree with acidfast as to the use of the available space.

I would suggest adapting/rebuilding your DIY pvc rack so that it makes full use of the height of the room, aligning the bikes vertically (floor to ceiling) side to side with both tires in contact with the wall (the bikes looking like they are trying to *ride* up/down the wall).
OR
You could make/purchase a *bike tree* to make full use of the height of the room. The tree would align the bikes lengthwise parallel to the wall, in the normal *leaning* against the wall orientation, One bike ABOVE the other (the bikes and tree would look somewhat like a piece of modern industrial *art* displayed against the wall).
BOTH systems would have no issues with racks or fenders.

The *bike tree* is the system I chose for my less than 350 sq. ft. "Ultra Efficiency" studio apartment with a 9 ft. ceiling. After a rough start, I have been EXTREMELY happy w/ my choice, A "floor to ceiling beam type storage rack" for the past 6-7 years.

The rack allows me to to keep 2 bikes, 2 sets of spare wheels, 2 helmets, spare tires, spare tubes, cycling shoes, and a set of bike rollers. In The SAME Floor Space as a single bike !!! NO NEED TO PUT HOLES OR FASTENERS INTO THE WALL OR CEILING.

Last edited by HvPnyrs; 02-26-13 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph