Old 02-26-13, 02:02 PM
jeffpepperdine

Bikes: ‘79 witcomb, ‘84 billato, ‘86 tomasso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spacemanz
Interesting thread here. I'm very new to using Italian threading, as in only used it in the last 3 months or so. I knew that the BB shell was 70mm instead of 68mm for English threading, but I had no idea the tapers were like this, for the Shimano 7400 & 6400 cranks, which I happen to have both of. I currently have the 6400 cranks on the Miele (closest I have to Tri-Color), with the F*G Italian-threaded BB, and everything "seems" fine, by eyeball, though I haven't run cables yet, just a chain. I'm not fully understanding all this yet, but it sounds like I "accidentally" found a pretty good combination, no? I had read that Campy & Shimano weren't really interchangeable, so I was wondering why mine worked this well, & thought maybe something was worn, in a very fortunate way, LOL. BTW, I also have a newer Campy Veloce BB, and it would be pretty cool, if I could use the 7400 cranks with that. Not that I will, but it's useful to know, just in case.
There is a good chance that it will work with a campy bb, but I would wager that in order to get clearance and a decent chainline, your spindle is at least 115... Google just told me that a newer veloce bb comes with a 115.5 spindle. I have to be honest, I'm incredibly jealous of the accidental success.