View Single Post
Old 02-27-13, 08:41 PM
robatsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by not_me
So what's the verdict on converting 27" to 700? I'm assuming everyone here is all for it?

I ask because I'm currently rebuilding a sports tourer that was originally equipped with 27" wheels. The stock wheels are FUBAR. Should I switch over to 700c?
My opinion is that if you are equipping a bike w/new wheels and are not attempting a restoration, period correct end result, one should generally go ahead and convert to 700c simply because of the wider range of options.

The only cases where you need to maybe do a little consideration in advance is if, in the case of caliper brakes, the pads are at the max extension of the arms or <4mm from this, as you may need some longer brakes, or in the case of cantilever brakes, sometimes it can be a little futzy because of the spacing of cantilever posts on road bikes (closer) in the mid and earlier 80's. Some Shimano M732 or equivalents are a known remedy.

These cautions aside, usually, it is pretty uneventful conversion. I like to do it also because it gives a little more clearance for larger tires/fenders. The 4mm decrease in rim radius is usually worth about an increase of 1 tire size.