View Single Post
Old 02-27-13, 09:16 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
I've gone the other way- from 700C to 27 inch, just cause I had the parts/tires. It's just a matter of adjusting the brakes, though they were on the top limit.
I'm wondering about this direction too, for this bike:

I have no idea what wheels it had originally. I put 700C wheels and 25mm Paselas on it. But the BB is about 1cm lower than what I'd consider typical of my other bikes. If it was built for 27" wheels and 1 1/4 tires, it would ride maybe 1cm higher. It handles a bit oddly, sort of feels like it doesn't want to turn without significant encouragement. Perhaps that's just what a medium-priced French bike built in Belgium in 1972 should feel like. Or perhaps it would feel different if it rode higher.

FWIW too, I put Mafac Racers on it, and they do like to squeal. A larger wheel would put the shoes closer to the arms' pivots and perhaps stabilize them.

Thoughts, anyone? Yeah, I know, you're probably going to say it won't make any difference.