Old 02-27-13, 09:17 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hi Guys thanks for all the advice and I will certainly try some of out. Your not going to believe this but I realized something just as I either drifted off to sleep or woke up this morning, maybe I dreamt about it.

OK the bike these fabulous hubs are going on is currently mostly Campi but with a DA Integrated 8 RD and 8spd DA SIS shifters. However the rear wheel in the bike right now is a......Campi hub with an 8spd cassette! I got so caught up in worring about how to make these new hubs (soon to be wheels) work on my other bikes I forgot I will be taking a perfectly good set of wheels off this bike can take a Campi 9spd cassette. I will have to triple check this of course but I am certain these hubs will work on atleast some of my 9spd bikes.
Nope.

With the move to 9 cogs Campagnolo changed to deeper splines (to allow alloy freehub bodies which don't indent) and made the freehub a bit wider.

That means you can't put a 9-speed cassette on an 8 speed hub.

Compatible 9 speed freehubs exist but getting one may require buying an old 9 speed hub, swapping, and selling the left over 8 speed hub which results.

( I upgraded my 1996 Chorus 8 speed hubs to 9 cogs after Campagnolo discontinued my favorite 8 cog cassette )