Old 02-28-13, 06:37 AM
rhyspdixon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed Gear Conversion Problem (POSSIBLY STUPID QUESTIONS)

Hi,
I've just started my first conversion project (converting a pretty awful Hercules Commuter I picked up for £20) and I'm trying to do it for as little cash as possible, just for a bit of fun.
So, I've been doing loads of research and I've come across some problems that I can't get my head around so I'd really appreciate some help

Basically, the Hercules's rear wheel: 1. has a Sturmey Archer hub (don't think this can be easily converted (?) and 2. it's pretty knackered (brake wear, missing spokes, needs bearings looking at). So I reckon I need to swap it out for a new rear wheel. Well I looked on the tyres and it says they're 26 x 1 3/8, so I headed to ebay and found this. I was just about to order when I found on the actual rim of the Hercules it says that it's not a 26 x 1 3/8 but a 26 x 1.375 (590 x 20). Bugger. So my first question is: should I still get that wheel? Or will it be a completely different size to the front wheel?

If the wheel is OK am I right in thinking I can just whack a track cog and a lock ring on there?

If anyone has any better ideas I'd really appreciate it!

Sorry about my outstanding ignorance. But thank you for your time.