View Single Post
Old 02-28-13, 12:21 PM
shepherdsflock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpasticSprocket
Yeah for commuters like us that's great, but for people who typically drive their cars around and are tired of paying so much for gas, or just want a greener commuting option, this would be a really good alternative. It's an easier transition than switching to a full bicycle, and it's cheaper than the typical used car (around $5,000-$10,000 for a good used car). I can see where the appeal is, and since I live somewhere where it could rain mid commute without warning (which it has done) This would be a neat alternative to constantly having to carry a lot of stuff in a messenger bag and getting all sweaty. I will agree that the average bike commuter, who's used to dealing with the elements, is definitely not a target audience, but for drivers who can afford it, and are looking to save money this could be a good alternative, and one that eventually pays for itself.
I don't see any reason the average person, even a "green" person, would choose this over a regular car. People drive cars instead of bikes primarily for the following reasons: speed (try going 70 mph in this thing!), passenger and cargo capacity (you're not going to haul your wife and kids around in this thing), comfort from the elements (no heater or air conditioning in this thing), range (you can easily travel hundreds of miles in a matter of hours with a car, you'd be lucky to make it a dozen miles with this thing before you were exhausted) and ease (let's face it, people are naturally lazy and want to find the easiest way to move around with the least amount of effort). This thing doesn't meet any of those points (though you might be able to make a weak argument for the effort part, since it does have an electric assist motor).