View Single Post
Old 02-28-13, 12:36 PM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Growing up as a child my father was concerned that we would get too far removed from food sources with the growth of chain markets. Hence, before we could eat any meat, we were required to witness how that meat came to be. Learning to hunt and fish we were always held to the standard that if you killed it, you were going to eat it. I came to like fishing more for that reason alone. You can almost always return the live fish back in the water. Not so once you pull the trigger. We also had a large bountiful garden that provided enough to put away for the winter months. Today, at 85 years of age, his garden is as large and bountiful as ever. All of this has resulted in our current household buying local produce when available and doing lots of research about the other things we eat. Finally, because I spent a good number of years living in my maternal grandmother’s home (she was a professional chef), I’ve got a fairly wide range of things that I’ll eat. Horse meat is not a problem for me. When I'm most concerned about food, is when riding centuries. The "homemade" food at rest stops and at the end of the ride concern me a wee bit.