View Single Post
Old 03-01-13, 06:46 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I know that to keep energy levels correct for the exertions of cycling- you should eat well- eat the right foods and eat enough of them. Problem is trying to find those good foods and I am afraid that even buying from the "Good" suppliers- you still do not know what you are eating. But on those hard and long rides I find that I need supplements to keep energy levels up. Just done a hard hill and feeling tired- take a gel or a power bar- keep a drink bottle with energy supplement in it and keep snacking from the supply of fruit and carbs that you carry in your pockets.

I can do something about my normal diet and I do my best to eat correctly. But it is those High energy products that I take on the rides.Just looked at a gel pack and sugars- salt- fruit and caffeine I recognise. Then underneath the main ingredients there is a list that are in very small letters that has the list of preservatives and a list of other things that I do not recognise. Lots of "E" numbers and words I could not pronounce if I tried. What the hell are they? and what will they do to my system?

I know these supplements work to keep energy levels up on rides but I use them as Emergency rations. Take the gels only when required or when I have run out of my "Normal" food from the pockets so they are not something that I think will affect me in the long term. But it is still disconcerting to think that once again I do not know what I am consuming.
In most things that make you sick, dose and duration are what determine whether or not you are affected...

So, as long as 90 - 95% of my diet is "good, healthy" stuff, I don't worry too much about the toxins in the remaining 5 or 10%. I would prefer to avoid them, but if that's all that is available, then OK....