genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by sbhikes

I've never read John Forrester and I probably never will. I can't see why on earth cycling can be considered so complicated you need to study a bible, I mean book, to understand how to do it. Even the driver's manual is just a pamphlet.

Sadly it should be just the opposite... drivers should be required to study all the laws pertaining to them and other vehicles with which they share the road. They should have to prove they have the skills to actually handle the multi-ton vehicle they will be using. But instead our system gives a "license" to minimally skilled amateurs in the hope that they will eventually learn.

Meanwhile cyclists have to burden to learn all the rules, and do everything possible to protect themselves while zipping about on their 25-35 pound vehicles. Cyclists are also expected to learn all the same skills a motorist should have and then some... through some form of osmosis I suppose... as our society does not train cyclists in an form or manner.

Of course some benevolent groups have recognized this dichotomy and are trying to at least get some basic skills taught to the cyclists.