View Single Post
Old 03-01-13, 03:34 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
While somewhat overstated, there is valid scientific truth to what you are saying about our modern over-clean society. (you know there must be something to this when both Fox News and the New York Times articles agree!) It seems the number one reason for our modern problem with allergies stems from the simple fact that our immune system needs targets to attack, and if there aren't any legitimate ones, then it will attack "targets of opportunity" such as foreign proteins like peanuts and pollen, or even our own bodies.

Studies on hook worms (and whip worms) and their effect on autoimmune diseases are interesting as well. Then there are the studies on fecal matter transplants and Crohn's Disease, which brings up the point that "good" bacteria are needed, so we should lay off our anti-bacterial craze, which really only breeds resistant "bad" bacteria, while cutting down on the "good" population that naturally keeps the "bad" population in check...

I could go on and on... such as how our overuse of antibiotics and antimicrobials is slowly eliminating our supply of such things that actually work on bacteria and microbes... Eventually we will be back in the same fix as the era before antibiotics were discovered.

That said, Trichinosis, and fear of such, will keep raw meat from my mouth and hands, thank you very much!

Edit: this started as a simple rant on my part, but it somehow turned into a linkfest! Sorry!!!!

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 03-01-13 at 03:49 PM.