View Single Post
Old 09-01-05, 05:11 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by fretman
I have the Kryptonite Kryptolok standard. It's a U-lock that measures 4"x9". However I'm having trouble locking both wheels together against a post. I just can't seem to find the right angle. Has anyone else had this problem. Should I get a bigger lock. I know that some Kryptonites measure up to 11.5". Can someone give me some advice and techniques. Thanks.
This issue has been discussed at length here. Search the forums for bike locks or similar and you'll find lots of info. Also see www.sheldonbrown.com for locking techniques.
The LAST thing you want is a bigger lock! Smaller is usually better. Removing the front wheel, and running the lock through the rear wheel, front wheel, and either chain stays or seat stays will provide a straight shot to the pole you're locking to. Although locking the frame is a controversial method to some, it helps fill in open spaces in the lock, which helps thwart thieves' tools.
Here's a pic of how I lock my bike (with added bits I use to make it harder to defeat). My lock is not through the frame in this shot - as long as you're through the rear wheel between the frame tubes, you're effectively locking the frame. You can't pull both wheels through the rear triangle.
I hope this helps.