View Single Post
Old 03-05-13, 02:34 PM
Elvis Shumaker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Sometimes the derailed threads are the most interesting ones

Far be it from me to scratch at the Raleigh Twenty's mythological unicorn status, but do remember it was not a cheap bike. About equivalent to the 500-600 USD the average bicycle costs today. The fact that you can find plenty used ones today is of course due to the fact that so many were produced, and so many were left in the garage.
Fair enough, a solid, well-designed bike, and you were getting plenty Sheffield steel for your money. Similar bikes are still available. I imagine loads of them have gone round the world and done very well. I imagine Bulgarian folders have done the same, and someone has done it on a pogo-stick. Low-tech is a sensible choice.

Today's lowest-end folder is generally a crap choice for a buyer new to bikes. For a tinkerer with a little common sense they can be a good buy.

So what did I get for the price of two visits to the filling station?

A bike frame-painted and assembled in the country I live in.
Stout aluminium frame w/ steel fork, which admittedly may have been welded by Chinese child prisoners (the smart money is on robots though). 10 year guarantee on the frame.
Alloy rims on standard alloy 36-spoke hubs. Shimano internal geared hub. Off-brand Schwalbe tyres.
Alloy suspension seatpost, Italian-made saddle.
LED generator lighting front and back.
Steel mudguards and rack. Chainguard. Reliable brakes. Stainless folding hardware.
Folding pedals.
Carrying bag and pump were included.

I don't think that's all that unusual at that price point if you do your homework. Compared to vintage folders it rides better, folds better, weighs less, stops sooner, rusts less. As much as it pains me to say it, we owe that to Chinese know-how. There is a reason we are riding what we ride, and not 'Twenty' replicas from India.

Last edited by Elvis Shumaker; 03-05-13 at 03:16 PM.