Old 03-08-13, 01:24 PM
Steve Sawyer

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
Can't find the Apex on the current listing but being a 2012 model it should be at a discounted price. Test ride if you can and remember that you have a budget to keep to. Just reminding you on that so you can forget it when you fall in love with the Dure Ace equipped bike with a discount as high as your original budget.

Found it--2012 2.1 Apex and the Apex refers to the Sram gearing. $1300 and I don't think you would want the alternative Colour it comes in. Compact Double up front and unless you have Hills should be OK. Rear cassette isn't listed and could be anything but that is an easy change item and if a bit tall- get the shop to change it before you buy.
Yeah - the alternative color is some kinda weird green - might look ok in person, but doesn't look like something I'd choose from the picture I saw! And yes, it has a SRAM Apex groupset. According to the tags hanging on it it's been marked down twice and it's now under $1100 IIRC.

My budget is a bit flexible as I'm anticipating the cost of a fitting, plus it seems that few are happy with the "stock" seats. Considering that LBS stocks seem to be a bit on the thin side right now - the Cannondale dealer only had a 58-cm 2012 Synapse 5 in stock - I'm willing to test-ride anything in my size and somewhere close to what I can afford, just to get a sense of how these bikes feel. From what one LBS told me, the prime season to get a smokin' deal on prior-year models when they have a good selection is in late fall when they're trying to clear stuff out with pre-Christmas sales, so the only '12 models I'm finding now are the left-overs. Not that they're bad, just few and far between.

The guy at this shop was really hot on the frame design on the new Domane. The seat post is held vertical by the joint between the seat stays and the top tube, secured by some kind of composite/rubber/plastic mounting and thus allows the entire seat tube to flex, not just the seat post. Interesting, but until they have one in my size I can ride...

Last edited by Steve Sawyer; 03-08-13 at 01:30 PM.