Old 03-09-13, 02:34 AM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Just resurrecting this thread to show the (likely quite temporary) incarnation in which this Apollo Imperial has found itself now that I'm back in Vancouver and have fished it and the boxes of bits out of storage. An 'around town' bike, slapped together with what I had on hand: donor parts and pieces with no other destiny - the only thing I bought specifically for the build was the bullhorn bar, though the Paul Components one-finger brake levers were a recent CL impulse buy.

Not a grocery-getter by any means, but quick transportation I don't mind locking up downtown:

1x6 setup with a 48t ring in front, shifting 12-24 freewheel in back. Nice old Conti tanwalls included with the wheels from the donor bike (also the donor for some components on the Atala I recently completed for my girlfriend) seem in great shape, used only on rollers I was told. Mismatched brakes are a product of the fork being drilled, but the back not. The back one the LBS guys gave me free (a takeoff 57mm Tektro with no pads on it) after I hooked one of them up with a much-desired 3TTT bar! I couldn't justify spending to match after the favour...

Somewhat 'fixified' look is in part due to the fact that I felt like trying out those Paul levers in this configuration (actually quite ergonomic, and who doesn't like a nice sweeping arc over the bars) + the cheapo bar I picked up doesn't have the inner diameter for regular plugs (those that came with the tape, or Velox, or whatever)...so I improvised with a plastic wine cork, which happened to be bright orange. Just had to use the saddle in clashing colours (to be honest, though, it's just the most beat-up one I have handy). Hopefully I can be forgiven my transgressions (including the splash)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0830.jpg (101.1 KB, 288 views)

Last edited by mikemowbz; 03-09-13 at 04:35 AM. Reason: spellin' and whatnot