Old 03-09-13, 02:54 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Rear shifting under stress

I have an old Trek 7000 mtb that I bought on eBay. I'm finding the rear shifting doesn't stay in place, I'll put it in a gear and it will jump down when I stress it. If I adjust it back, sometimes it will jump up as I've now overshifted the other way. It is 7 speed Deore LX from 1990. I've tried adjusting it but it hasn't helped and actually made it worse at first, but I got it back. Which of the following would cause this?

Worn out shifter
Overstretched cable
improper length and routed housing (this doesn't look right compared to my Trek 8000 from the same period, the front/rear cross under the down tube.)
worn out chain
worn out cassette
worn out derailleur

I guess that's everything in the shifting path. Could it be a little bit of all of the above too? I changed the front shifter when it wouldn't work at all, and I have the matching rear but haven't tried it. I was told it may not work, but the ratchet seems to catch off the bike. I otherwise still have everything on it the way it came. I'm not looking to replace everything, but which is the likeliest suspect? My Trek 8000 is pristine and shifts perfectly by comparison. This 7000 looks like it got used and abused a lot.