View Single Post
Old 03-11-13, 06:57 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
I would like to build my way up to long distance touring (eg 100+ miles), if I have the time. Right now, I have spd cleats, a gavin road shoe with both two bolt and three bolt holes, and a fitting problem because I'm getting aches in my feet. (tried a whole bunch of things; made a thread for it too) So I want to decide between spd and spd sl. For long distances, is there really an advantage for spd sl cleats?

I'm also thinking about new pedals and/or cleats, so that I can be comfortable, and be all set for next several years. My current shoe is this. Obviously it's on the low end. Will this really matter for touring purposes?

I'm also thinking about replacing the stock spd pedals that came with the bikesdirect bicycle. They're one sided, which isn't really a big deal. But I've read that they're also on the low end, and could be flexing and contributing to my foot ache.

Any input is appreciated.
I'd suggest a regular SPD double sided mountain bike pedal and a 'walkable' shoe if you are going to be touring. Road shoes are great if you only want to ride your bike. But touring often involves doing other things than riding your bike...seeing the sights, visiting museums, walking around camp, etc. A road shoe isn't all that great for those activities.

For pedals, you can't go wrong with a Shimano M520. Cheap ($24, new), rugged and durable. The mechanism works better than other pedals in it's price range.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!