View Single Post
Old 03-13-13, 03:49 PM
aramis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doug64
I've done lightly loaded, 20-25 lbs, tours on my "not so good" road bike, and it works just fine. But it seems like you are trying to rig a Mazda Miata to pull a 18 foot travel trailer.
Couldn't have said it better, and I even have a Miata. It's a great car and I could go on a long roadtrip with my wife in it if we packed light, but I'm not going to use it to move cross country. I would think it would take less time and cost about the same to modify your cervelo than it would to swap handlebars/seats/dynamos all that crap onto a new touring bike. Heck you could walk into performance bike and buy a $500 sora eqipped road bike with a triple and swap the rear cassette and maybe the derailleur and transfer all your other stuff and it would work fine and you could give it away when you're done if you wanted.

I also wonder why you need a disc touring bike when you were content to use rim brakes on your Cervelo?

But if you really want to put touring gearing on your cervelo and tour with it, go ahead, but there's nothing magic or unheard of having super low gearing and a triple with STI's on a road bike.. just buy the parts and go for it.