Old 03-14-13, 07:46 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kookaburra1701
I usually feel like I'm going at warp factor 10 for a few minutes when I get above 45 mph driving, but it goes away quickly. I do feel a bit claustrophobic I suppose - more like I can't see as much as I'm used to because of all the car in the way, and that makes me a little anxious.

I have used my hand signals while in the car before, and once stopped and signaled to turn into a bike path that's the fastest route across town before my passenger asked me wtf I was doing.
Sounds totally natural to me. Humans have not evolved to travel at those speeds and disorientation is perfectly predictable. Have you ever found a snail stuck to the side of your car after you went for a drive on the freeway? Imagine what that experience must have been like for him! Even bicycle speeds are pretty unnatural for the human mind, let alone highway speeds.

I don't think we should consider this feeling all that irrational as others have stated. If anything, we probably have a more rational sense of what is dangerous because, driving is the most dangerous thing that most people do on a daily basis. Peoples lack of fear when speeding around blind curves, passing in no passing zones, tailgating, and all the other wacky things we see on the road on a daily basis, are what is irrational.