Old 03-15-13, 05:16 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Agree completely on the Sora and Apex too. I rode many enjoyable miles on SunTour components that were at best entry level in the 70s and I started this long strange trip on Simplex made with Delrin plastic and their notorious box style horizontal plunger front derailleur. The canted levers that SRAM has are one thing that sold me on buying my first SRAM bike this time. I watched the Tirreno-Adriatico stage replay yesterday with the 27% section, I noticed that Apex and Red WiFli systems with the 32(?) tooth rear cog were in use.

There is a place for all the levels, to me, and I would gladly ride MOST of them on a daily basis. I looked at the Sora equipped bikes on-line a few days ago at the various major manufacturers and the technology they have is amazing. Right now however, I am looking in to a classic retro set up using 5 cogs on a freewheel, friction shifters and most likely NR campy like my International had. The more technology the merrier.

The Treks I have seen with Sora were well built and well engineered, Dudelsack posted a few weeks ago that he had gotten his daughter a Lexa with Sora components and that it was a pretty neat bike. Around here the entry Treks are popular but our LBS that carried Trek had to drop the line for some reason, their loss, but my wife loves her Trek 7300 hybrid, so I wish they would open a place nearby.
Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 03-15-13 at 05:20 AM.