View Single Post
Old 03-15-13, 05:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
I think you put your finger on the problem. You moved the claw when taking the wheel off and didn't put it back as it was.

The angle the claw hangs at is set and held at two points. The nut on mounting screw behind the axle pockets into the dropout, then when the axle is in the U-cutout, it creates a center line from the center of the axle to the center of the screw, and fixes the mounting angle so it's the same every time.

Odds are the claw slipped forward or back or the back end nut slipped out of the dropout.

Remove the rear wheel, slide the claw to the back of the slot, and tighten it in position with the U lined up. Then slide the wheel all the way into the claw, centering it in the frame from the left side. If all was OK before, you should be good to go now.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.