Old 03-17-13, 08:52 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Friel did a big run-down on the research in 2011: http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/02...-clothing.html

It sounds like it might assist a little in recovery. I put it in the "maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, it can't hurt, except maybe your wallet" category.
I really liked reading this. I feel the study summaries support the use of compression for recovery better than Friel states.
One study that failed to indicate improved recovery didn't seem too well designed. Heavy squat sessions two days apart? Another was basketball performance. He included Sperlich et al. (#8) among the recovery studies saying no, but it the summary said nothing about recovery. Study#2 was about wearing the products while exercising.
Friel should have listed Chatard et al. (3rd study) among the supporting 'recovery' studies. Though the guys were not elite cyclists, that study seemed the most applicable for our purposes.
I've never worn the things and think they look dorky, but feel that the listed studies support the idea that wearing them after exercise will be good for you the next day. If I were a team manager or coach, I'd be pushing them on my riders for recovery, especially for stage races.