View Single Post
Old 03-18-13, 05:54 AM
Ranger63

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably should have altered the 'lead in' to read:" For folks looking at installing Velo Oranges elkhide wrap on their rides"
Here's the word for word response I got from Scott at Velo Orange.
"Rich; On bars with the center grip being 26.0 the grip area (on ours)is 23.8.
The grips are cut to fit 23.8 diameter bars.
They were designed to cover the 23.8 bars only but there might be enough stretch to cover aero style cable setups, I can't be certain.
IF the bars are of the 31.8 (as with my Salsa shallow drop PRM3)center grip then the y go down to 26.7 (which is standard for 31.8 clamps but not for 26.0 clamps)that is too big for our grips to fit"
Simply put; I was just sharing the experience in case others were looking at Velo Oranges elkhide wrap for their vintage rides.
The wraps won't fit newer bars with the 31.8 center grip
The wraps won't fit if you plan on going with an aero wrap on the brake cables.
Sence the wraps are unreturnable (for obvious reasons)and unuseable in their oem form on anything I have, I'm thinking of cutting the wrap in half lengthwise and seeing if (with doublefaced tape on each strip) the two strips can be wrapped onto the bar.