View Single Post
Old 03-18-13, 05:45 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Emotional attachment to a Bike? A bike is a tool nothing more. There is no soul in a bike, even a pet has more loyalty. A bike will work just as well or just as bad for the guy that rips it off. I can like the way to tool works and change things on it to make it work better. I can like how a bike looks but if a better bike comes along and the same time extra money hit my wallet I can dump an old bike as quickly as an old pair of shoes. Now if the bike would come when I called it we could develop an emotional attachment. However I have read before that "men" are the only animals that can love a machine. I am not sure that is a compliment.

Make no mistake I like my bikes but when my Lapierre was smashed I didn't have a funeral service for it. I am just as happy with my Tarmac. Almost as happy with my Klein.

Just as an aside, doesn't Giant have a lifetime frame warrantee? Do Steel bikes come with a warrantee against rust?

It doesn't now nor has it ever mattered what the bike is made of if it is a quality bike. All work as well as they are supposed to. Some of us will simply replace their bike more often than others. I have friends that drive old cars and insist the new ones don't have any soul. Piffel they have ABS, fuel injection, stability control, better air conditioning and better fuel mileage and they don't need servicing every 3000 to 10000 miles for plugs. The truth is they just like old cars, no soul involved. The other truth is some people like steel, Aluminum, Scandium, Titanium and Carbon fiber. Others just try to justify their choice.