View Single Post
Old 03-20-13, 01:09 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
You're most welcome; don't know about 'insightful' -- just my thoughts based on my own experience/preferences. These may or may not apply to you!
In any event, I'll try to respond to your further questions with a more general view, based on reading your two threads.

To my mind, all four bikes you are considering (BB9/29er, Sirrus Elite/Comp) would serve you very well given (as I said above) your riding conditions and intended use. The Sirrus Sport you tested, while good for checking geometry/fit of "Sirrus", is a level below the Elite/Comp (very different frame/fork materials), so I exclude it here. Choosing between the four, then, really comes down to which one(s) you prefer the look/fit/feel (and price!) of; there's no clear answer anyone here can give you.

I've given my take above re. the two Sirrus models; I'd group the BB9 with those, and consider the BB29er separately. If it were me choosing, I wouldn't go with the latter because it's overbuilt for my intended use(s): I've no intention of going seriously off-road, and I don't need/want the frame clearance for 2+inch tires (knobby or slick). I understand the appeal of very wide road tires to certain cyclists, but while I like the idea of low-pressure comfort I'm not willing to pay the inevitable rotating weight penalty. I'm happy with 25mm Conti GP4000s in summer, and 32mm Panaracer Pasela TGs (folding) in spring/fall and when riding unpaved surfaces. I find both sufficiently comfortable/shock absorbing given a high-quality frame/fork, and find both to be light/quick-handling -- qualities I like. Your tastes may differ! Good luck with your choice!