View Single Post
Old 03-21-13, 01:00 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by hikerinmaine
I have mainly used my bivy's in the winter for mountaineering, but have used one while mountain biking. I tested it out at a campground and didn't find it too bad, but wouldn't want to spend a day inside in the rain. You can easily read a book or look at a map inside it so it does have more room than a regular hooped bivy.

I have four bivy sacks, a North Face military camo Gore-Tex (GTX) for stealth sleeping and a GTX Outdoor Research one I usually lend to friends that come along, but both are pretty much just waterproof sleeping bag liners. I also have an Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy, but rarely use it since I found one I like much better. It's the Nemo GoGo, and it's sort of a cross between a bivy and an ultralight tent. There is more room inside it than the other bivy's, but not as much as a tent. It does have a screen entrance for those buggy nights and a storm flap, but if you're looking for no condensation when it's raining outside, you will be disappointed since it's just a single wall with little ventilation when buttoned up. The unique thing about it, however, is there are no poles. Instead it uses an air bladder that is easily blown up in seconds, and it's surprisingly rigid in the wind. The bladder itself is pretty tough (I always carry a spare but have never used one) but it's also sheathed inside a second skin, so it's protected against abrasions. It's very easy to change out due to the velcro system holding it in place. I stake it out with 5 stakes (this is mainly so there is more room inside) and inflate it, and it'll be up in literally under 60 seconds, ready to crawl into.

Here is a picture of it (this is not mine, but is identical, I can't find the picture of mine at a the moment and I ride a Salsa) and it weighs about 26 ounces, but my Advanced Bivy weighs just over 32 ounces (yes, I am a hiking weight weenie).
Thanks for sharing that. What you are describing is quite different from what I use and do. I would consider the bivys you mention to be in an entirely different class. To me "hooped bivys" are really little tents more so that bivys. Not knocking them, just pointing out that they are a different animal.

The bivys I own range from 5.5 oz to 15 oz. With mine I usually need to carry a tarp that might be 5-7 ounces plus a couple ounces of stakes and cords. So I am usually at a pound total plus or minus a few ounces. If the whole setup is at or heavier than 2 pounds I am inclined to skip it and go to a tent so I have never tried the hooped bivys. Obviously that is only a personal preference though.

On the all day in the rain in a bivy thing... Even when I use a tent I have always hit the road by mid morning rain or not. Those who want to hang out in the tent on rainy days may not find a bivy acceptable.