View Single Post
Old 03-23-13, 06:09 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
We definitely need more photos of the seat tube lugs, head tube lugs, etc. Are the shifters brazed-on, or clamp-on? I can't tell from the photos. It has eyelets, which were discontinued in the very early '70s, but it also has brazed-on bb cable guides, which weren't introduced until the early 70s. I doubt that there are many that have both. Definitely need more photos before a year range can be decided, or even to decide if it's original paint and frame features (could've been a repaint and braze-ons at the time of the later component additions).

I've seen the full chrome rear triangle before and a chrome fork in earlier models, but it's definitely not common.

Value could be all over the place, depending on whether frame is in original state or not, who's doing the selling (this matters A LOT), where it's being sold, quality of the photos and description, etc. Based on what we know so far, I'd say that value could range from $1500 (for a refinished frame with later parts being sold by a newb with crappy photos and description) to $4500 (if it's an original condition frame set and the auction is perfect and run by a seller with lots of relevant feedback for high end bike sales).

Is the bike your size? If it's really exactly your size and you really, really like vintage bikes - don't sell it under any conditions whatsoever. You will not likely stumble onto something like this ever again.

If it's not your size and you're not head over heels in love with this (though you should be), you need to decide the sentimental attachment and relationship to your grandfather. If it really reminds you of him, it could be a great wallhanger. If not - sell it to someone who will truly love it. But, find someone to help you that really knows what they're doing. It only takes a minor mistake (bad cleaning technique, bad packing, bad photos) to really sink the value of the bike or the amount of the sale.

best of luck, and more photos!