Old 03-25-13, 06:18 AM
69tr6r

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stedanrac
Hi Folks,

I have some pictures or my 1984 Trek 830 mountain bike. It is a 501 frame and was the low end of the line (I know because I bought it new back then and have ridden it since). The frame is beautifully lugged.

I'm looking for some opinion/help on updating this. As you see, I had the frame powder coated (it was really banged up before). I now need to replace the front cranks cause of a misthreaded pedal (my bad). Once I look at changing that, I figure I'll swap out the BB, then I look at that old cassette and derailleur in the back (I pulled the front and am happily running it as an 8 speed). That leads me to look at the hubs, then whole wheels, you get the picture. By that point we're about $300 bucks in using low end stuff. What do you think? The old parts have lived a good life, not been abused, but sometimes age just has a way of weakening things ( wow, maybe I'm talking about me and not the bike)

I'm trying to get it solid because I'm doing a 40 mile charity ride with the little dude in the trailer (see pic below) and I want it running well.

Thanks in advance as always!
Steve

The original picture must be summer 1987:

That's a really nice bike, and the new powdercoat looks superb. I wouldn't put new parts on it. I would use the parts you have, after a good cleaning and refreshing. If you need to replace anything I would try to get parts that are "period correct". That bike would just look so much better with all of the old components, but that's just me. Cool pics too!