View Single Post
Old 03-27-13, 01:29 PM
bici_mania

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I was hit in the bike lane by an (your in good hands) insured motorist and it cracked my Raleigh frame but also damaged the components. I also had a police report that made it dang near impossible for the driver to say it wasn't their fault, in part because I was in a bike lane. I gave the insurance company documentation showing the price of a brand new Raleigh, pointed out that mine was 25 years old and couldn't be easily replaced. I gave a detailed list of components and showed receipts for upgrades I added and then showed a few active listings on eBay for 25 year old steel bikes that, according to me, were the equivalent as well as the components priced higher than what I had paid. I made a point to tell them that I was only interested in replacing damaged property and would not raise the issue of injuries, they sent me a check without any problem or hesitation.

I did call around to lawyers, none of them were really interested in my case. I was injured but not to the extent that I felt it was worth hassling with a lawyer, I only wanted to have my bike replaced. No lawyer I found was interested in that, they were all looking for large cash settlements, as in 5+ digits. I ended up coming out a little bit ahead.

Lawyers speak hassle. It's usually choose 'this' or 'that', but clearly 'this' is a better choice for you because it will be faster and easier. I did my best to speak to them in their own language and in my case it worked well.

Good luck to you, I wish you well.