View Single Post
Old 03-28-13, 08:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18576 Post(s)
Liked 16,039 Times in 7,531 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
It would be great to get feedback from anyone who has ridden 50+ miles in both spd and sl setups
I have. I do loaded touring with Shimano MTB shoes. Supported tours with SL cleat on road shoes. The SPDs hold up much better because they are metal. You are likely to walk into stores. You might find a nice spot foir luch off the road like a lake or a river that requires you to walk over uneven ground that could be gravel or dirt or mud. The latter gunks up SLs more than it does SPDs. You may have have to walk along a non-rideable gravel entrance road to a campground. You may stop at a local museum for a visit. You may have to walk through a road constrcution zone or part of a dirt road that is not rideable due something like a washout. You may want to scamper up a hill for a better photo. I have done some damage to plastic cleats on the four Cycle Oregons I have done when I have had to walk on gravel/rock surfafes to get to rest stops.

And to suggest that you cannot get stiff shoes for SPD cleats is simply incorrect. My Shimano MTB shoes are adequately stiff and rugged enough to walk in, but also comfortable.

I cannot imagine that, in practice, you are going to want to change your shoes every time you need to walk. I certainly wouldn't want to walk a mile through the soft dirt and gravel of a road reconstruction zone wearing sandals. But suit yourself. I really think Burton is on to a few things.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-28-13 at 08:44 AM.