Old 03-28-13, 08:46 AM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
Spring of last year my bike (2009 Lemond Zurich) got totaled by an at fault driver. The adjuster was a bit out of his element with a bike appraisal. At first he was going to use a standard depreciation formula. I forget what it is exactly but it went something like 15% off each year (so 15% off the new price for the first year, then 15% of that price for the next year etc.). However, I think they reviewed the situation and came at a price that I considered very fair. I also think it helped that I wasn’t a dick to the appraiser and provided him with as much information as I had. Like original receipt, model comparisons from Craigslist and Ebay, etc. I also gave the value of every bit of damaged items that weren’t part of the bike this included my helmet, torn jersey and lights. Even my wheels and tires were upgrades so I let them know what they were worth. At least with this insurance company, their settlement was actually a purchase of the bike, so don’t be surprised if they take it away.
I also had a 2004 Lemond Zurich…great bike, I’m sorry for your loss.
It's nice when both sides can be fair and reasonable and honest...and arrive at a fair settlement that makes everyone happy. Unfortunately, it's also rare......