View Single Post
Old 03-28-13, 09:41 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalPedaler
It's nice when both sides can be fair and reasonable and honest...and arrive at a fair settlement that makes everyone happy. Unfortunately, it's also rare......
To be honest it wasn’t all smooth sailing. The lady who hit me insurance co. has a reputation for not being very helpful. She also decided to lie and tell her insurance I actually hit her! I have to thank BF since reading several “I got hit” stories I knew to take pictures, get witness names/numbers at the scene and a copy of the police report. Armed with these there was really no way to dispute what happened.
When the adjuster came to my house to look over the bike he seemed truly shocked when he saw the cracked in half bike, tacoed wheels, split open helmet and bloody jersey. Although I wasn’t serious hurt, I think he knew from an insurance standpoint they might have been on the hook for a lot more. We talked for awhile and he mentioned he knew some cyclist too, which probably helped. Anyways, he called back a day later and said normally they would have given out X amount of dollars, but he talked his boss into upping it by another $500. Might have been a BS tactic to make me think I was getting a better deal, but it was a fair settlement that didn't involve any bickering.