View Single Post
Old 03-29-13, 06:52 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,068 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
I don't think any US companies ever speced campy on an MTB during the short time that campy was making mtb groups.

those brake levers look.. interesting.. and the double ubrakes will definitely make finding the right frame a tricky task. The thumbies look pretty sweet though.. let's see the derailleurs and hubs!
There were a few US MTBs with Campy.
I remember drooling over a Team Fat Chance 10th Anniversary with Record OR.
Serotta, Fisher, Lemond, and Merlin also had Campy equipped MTBs. And I think there was a special edition Ross too.

IIRC, there was Euclid and Centaur early on. Then they added Olympus. Before leaving the MTB market, Campy had three groups: Record OR, Icarus and Centaur.

Campy MTB stuff was very very pretty, silky smooth, heavy, and definitely lacking in shifting and braking performance relative to Shimano and Suntour. Those brake levers look big enough to stop a battle ship (compared to the minimalist Diacomp SS5 of the same era).