Old 03-30-13, 07:59 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Different hub makers differ about this. Some say no grease, just the same oil as for the internals, and others say grease for the ball bearings, oil for the internals.

I've always used grease on the ball bearings, regardless of maker instructions. Realistically either a decent oil or grase will give adequate lubrication. I jsut prefer grease because it tolerates weather better, and has a longer service interval.

BTW- on UK built SA hubs, I've rarely, if ever, opened the hub for any kind of service. I just added a few drops of oil when it seemed like a good idea, and when I got nervous about the ball bearings (2-3 winters out) I'd service them from either end without touching the internals.

I don't know if the current crop of hubs is as bombproof as the older ones were, but I suspect that many owners are doing much more service than is really needed.
You're right about that, particularly as it pertains to hubs not ridden extensively in adverse conditions. My XRF5 had a good 7 years on it, winters included before I opened it up, and it would have continued on much longer without disturbing it.