Old 03-31-13, 10:10 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Other than 8-9-10- speed cassettes, I really don't see any real advances in bike technology to be anything that would make me want to buy it. The more gears in the rear makes for easier/less complicated shifting since more gears available with one chainring, thus relegating a triple crankset obsolete. But even that comes at a price with skinny chains that stretch quicker, break or just wear out faster.

Lightweight frame material? Bah. I crush aluminum beer cans with my bare hands, and a plastic bike - isn't that what they make Tupperware out of? j/k guys...

Yeah, my lugged, butted CroMo frame is twice as heavy as a CF frame, but once the components are bolted on, the 'difference' isn't as great. Oh, and I can load mine down with racks, fenders, panniers and go touring. BTW, I'm no lightweight myself, so the stresses someone of, ummm, err... 'greater stature' and the latest Al or CF frames seem contradictory. That above link 'bustedcarbon' is enough to warn me away - and those are much lighter riders! Hitting the bumps I regularly encounter on the roads around here make me glad I'm on Steel!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 03-31-13 at 10:35 AM.