View Single Post
Old 04-02-13, 04:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked 2,723 Times in 1,520 Posts
Visit California Bicycle in La Jolla. I'm pretty sure they can accommodate you with a good build.

One suggestion, IMO Open Pros which are rims I like don't handle high static tensions very well (others are free to disagree) so if using them, limit the spoke gauges as follows 2.0/1.8/2.0 DB on the right (or a triple butt 2.3/1.8/2.0 or similar) with a 2.0/1.6/2.0 or similar on the left. The point is to keep the spoke at 1.8mm or thinner on the right side, and use something lighter yet on the left to compensate for the tension differential.

This should serve you well, as I've built wheels using these spokes for tandems going cross country loaded.

If you're nervous going this light you can find a stouter rim, and then use 2.3/2.0 single butted on the right, with 2.0/1.8/2.0 on the left.

You're weight alone shouldn't be the deciding factor, but that and your riding style, and previous experience with wheel survival.

BTW- tell them the Chain-L guy sent you. If La Jolla is too far out of the way, email Hank at Apollo Components. He's a sales rep that covers that area and knows all the players very well.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.