I like chrome.

Bikes: 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Mongoose ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Do the Stumpjumper first please.

I have a 1983 as well and I want to see yours first.

Might build one of these for grins.....
I'm definitely going to do the stumpjumper first.

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
An old stumpjumper with campy 8 sounds fun. I know you have a "toothbrush clean" kit floating around.

edit: keep in mind how simple this would be btw. Campy 8 shares cog spacing with shimano 7 freewheels and the front ergo lever handles mtb triple setups without breaking a sweat.
Does this mean I wouldn't have to cold set or spread the rear chainstays? I would prefer to not have to do that as I would like to keep the bike as close to original as possible (or at least be able to go back to all original).

Originally Posted by anixi
+1 on the Stumpy, although the 'goose is a close 2nd.
I'm definitely going to try the drop bar conversion on the stumpy. For now I'm probably going to keep the mongoose pretty much stock. If I do end up doing something to the 'goose, for now I'll probably just add a cheap northroads style bar, or maybe my vintage specialized nitto bullmoose bars that I also have.

Originally Posted by likebike23
J, Nice Stumpjumper! I would do the stumpy 1st. That stem from the mongoose might work great on there (if you're gonna change it anyway). Save all the original parts just in case you need to sell it down the road. P.S.- went to Hampshire bike today and scored some bars, levers, and shifters for a conversion.
Thanks! Yup, the Stumpy is getting done first. Hmmm. If I don't end up using the stem on the Mongoose, I might consider using it on the Stumpy (although I kind of think I might need a stem that offers me more rise). I am definitely going to be saving all the original parts if any end up coming off either of my bikes.

I need to make a trip out tp Hamp Bike exchange. They have so much great used bikes and accessories that you can poke through. I love that place!

Last edited by Donkey Hodie; 04-02-13 at 07:54 PM.