Old 04-03-13, 09:56 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Curly1
I'm new to this road biking thing so I'd love to get some feedback from those of you who have road experience.
Hydraulic disc brakes are awesome! I have Magura Marta brakes on my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro and they're the best bicycle braking system I've used.

Unfortunately, you're not going to get hydraulic discs on a road bike. The best you can do are mechanical discs, usually the Avid BB7. I have them on my touring bike and my flat-bar commuter bike. They give more predictable stopping in wet weather, but in terms of feel or braking performance they're not much different from a high-end rim brake.

If you're worried about braking performance, go out an practice braking. Few people practice anything other than turning the pedals over, and it shows.

I were buying a racing bike, I would not worry about disc brakes. You'll get more competitive advantage from being able to run light-weight, aerodynamic road wheels than from disc brakes. Your competition knows this, so that's what they'll be running!

If I were buying a touring bike, I'd want mechanical disc brakes... but the lack of them wouldn't be a deal-killer for me since I rarely ride in the rain. If your favorite touring frame doesn't include disc brakes, you can always swap the front fork for one that includes a disc mount. Prices are reasonable, even if you need to have a frame builder construct a custom fork. Most of your braking power comes from the front brake anyway, so not having a back disc brake doesn't make much of a difference.