Old 04-03-13, 04:23 PM
agg1337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like a MODERN 10 speed

Hello all,

spring is finally here and I'm out and about on my bicycle again. I've been riding an old vintage Schwinn Super LeTour for the past few years and I've always loved it. Last fall I wanted to build a more modern road bike with an internal hub, but over the winter my money and time went into more season appropriate/suitable hobbies. Now that I'm on the bike again, I've re-sparked my want for a modern bike to play with. I have however, changed what I want.

Everything I've read about internal hubs has been negative so I talked myself out of an IGH. I now want to build/buy a modern 10 speed. Only problem is...they don't seem to exist. I thought about it and it seems easy enough. My only stipulation (and this is where I think it gets tricky) it can only have one chain ring up front. I want to keep all of the "gears" in back. I want a simple, rugged, efficient bike.

Because i know someone will ask
Budget: $500
Intended use: Commuting, bar hopping, errand running, leisure, etc.
Terrain: City/light gravel
Preferred features: Plain and unbranded, fender mounts, rack mounts, drop bars

My questions:
1. My biggest concern is chain alignment when shifting through the gears. Since there is only 1 chain ring up front, will the alignment be off enough to cause problems in the top or bottom gear(s)? Would i be better off with a 8 speed or possibly 6?

2. Chain skipping. Without the front derailleur, will the chain have a tendency to skip off of the front chain ring?

Thats all for now. Im sure ill think of other questions and concerns soon.

Leave feedback, ridicule me, ask questions of your own, etc.

Last edited by agg1337; 04-03-13 at 05:10 PM.