View Single Post
Old 04-05-13, 08:25 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Today one of my sons pointed out that my father collects fishing gear and I collect cycling gear. My initial reaction was, "No, I'm not at all like that." But, he's right. I have cycling gear I haven't used in years; I've got more bikes than I NEED. I've backups for my backups. All just like my father does with his fishing equipment. He’s got salt water fishing reels, spinning reels, bait casting reels, reels for any situation you can imagine. I’ve got road bikes that can be raced, touring, cross, commuting, single track, and one I only ride in the rain. Heck, he's 85 years old and looking at a pickup truck to haul his boat trailer. I'm dreaming of the bike I'll ride in my 70s. Yeah, I’m just like my father. So, it got me wondering how many other 50+ers have a lineage of collecting that may be part of who you are today?
No, I'm the son of depression era parents: if it wasn't helpful (even if it was to only have fun) they didn't buy it. Everything had a purpose and, living in a small house (by today's standards) there was not a lot of room for both people as well as collectibles. So, when it's useful life was over it got pitched...

everything in the house served some purpose.

I'm the opposite: I hate to throw anything out. I installed a towel rack the other day and had to shorten the tube -- now I'm wondering what to do with the little piece of tube I cut off. I hate to throw it out! It might be useful for something someday!