View Single Post
Old 04-07-13, 06:24 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
I know this northern boy could not handle anything like that this early.What kind of inclines were there?
That that is one of the beauties of this ride. Just about all the ups were in the 6-8% range with a few short 10% thigh burners thrown in just as a reminder we were in the foothills. I had forgotten how much climbing there was on Bill's Creek. I can recall one year doing AOMM doing most of that on my 50 in one of the large packs just sucking you along.

I recognized Round Top (4-5 mile climb) from we did it on Hilly Hellacious (from Fletcher) back before they temporarily stopped Hilly a few years ago. Have not done it since they moved the date back to late September. I'm done with riding hard stuff by that time of the year.

I agree with the numbers/turnout. But it has grown quite a bit since year one. I bet the proximity to Greenville/Spartanburg compared to Marion adds some to the numbers. Caesars Head is just a grind. Not really looking forward to it next week but what does down much come back up......

I wasn't so sure about about the enchiladas but they really did hit the spot. The home made chocolate cake was pretty darn tasty as well.

One of my buddies jumped on the tandem right before the descent down Hwy 9 down through Chimney Rock and Lake Lure and whizzed right by me. I tried to jump on in Chimey Rock when they came by but it was futile......