Old 04-12-13, 04:28 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramaka
Hi All,
Just wanted to share my first 2 of many biking days....and get your feedback on how I can improve my speed and distance...
Frist Day: The weather here in NE was a pleasant 55F....could bike for only 3.7 miles at a speed of 7mph, though I had to stop twice for water, I could feel the "burn" in my legs. Felt really happy about it. My palms and butt were definitely uncomfortable, so went to LBS and asked him for some advice. LBS guy adviced me to get gloves and said that I will get used to the seat no worries. Experience with fellow bikers was good and bad mostly good. Had the frequent stares, but who cares, right? Read some of the threads here, decided and ordered biking shorts.It should be here by weekend hopefully.

Second Day: The weather was a bit gloomy with overcast condition. Biked for 4.7 miles at 8 mph speed. Felt a bit more comfortable with the seat, but palms still took most of the brunt due to the pressure on it. I am still confused on what and when to change the gears. I basically put the front gear at 2 and rear at 6-7 and not change it at all.

My aim is to bike at least 30 miles a day by June, is this a sane target?
Hey, glad you're liking the hobby thus far! For your hands, get gloves with gel inserts, they work wonders. They'll soak up unwanted vibrations. Secondly, your handlebars and/or saddle may need to be adjusted if you're experiencing soreness in your arms.

Biking shorts. I was one of of the, "There's no way in hell you'll EVER catch me in spandex" guys. After my first ride, I reluctantly gave in. When MTBing I usually wear a liner but on the roadie, I'll suck it up and go out in spandex. I'm going to be frank with you and tell you straight up right now, do NOT skimp on bicycle shorts. You DO get what you pay for. IMO, if they're under $50, you're going to be in for a world of hurting. They don't last and they don't protect. Also go for a pair with the gel chamois. Your ass (amongst other areas) will thank you for it. Performance Bike sells some decent "Century" shorts, which have worked well for me. I believe they cost around $50-$60 and are also made in the USA.

As for changing speeds, that's going to come with experience, sort of like driving a manual in an automobile. I've been riding for a few years and still "dance around" sometimes. With more time on the bike you'll learn how the bike performs on what and you'll just "know" which gearing you want to use.

Eight mph is not bad for just starting out, even if it's a few miles. You will be riding 15-20 in no time.

You're doing great and keep up the good work! It DOES get easier very quickly. At first you feel overwhelmed (I still do from time to time...) like you're just never going to get faster or better but you will.