Old 04-12-13, 02:04 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
We are probably a lot closer to DubT's power wise that Turbotandem and I think below a certain power level the regular outboard spacing is stiff enough that any improvement is not noticeable. The more power the stiffer the system must be to be stiff enough.

The direct load path of the right hand drive could be an important factor since it would limit the effect of bottom bracket flex. I think that the actual BB shell can flex in addition to any crank axle flex. In addition there should be less friction in the system if that is a factor.
For MOST teams, I do not think that it makes any difference at all in performance. I again think it is more of a marketing ploy than anything else. In order to utilize it you have to get rid of the triple or move it so far outboard that you defeat the so called performance gain by having it close to the C/L of the bike. And then in order to have a decent low gear you have to compromise on gearing and use compact type gearing with a wide ratio cassette. No thanks!

Andy do you have actual data that proves the RH drive has improved your performance. I mean objective not subjective data. Ride the old bike on the same course, same exact conditions and then turn around and ride the new bike under the exact same conditions. This type of data is extremely hard to get and often becomes subjective because of various factors. Wind, temperature, team condition etc.