Old 04-13-13, 05:01 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
The New Roubaix SL4 Frame Is unreal. Fast, Nimble, and Great great ride. Im a Fan of the R3, Infact own a Tarmac, Roubaix and R3. R3 Just got Handed down though to my Brother In Law.

So my Vote is Roubaix SL4 Sweet Bike, and perfect timing, Spring Classics Sale puts the Roubaix Expert at 3300! I pulled the trigger.
My vote is the Roubaix SL4 also. Why? Because I have a Roubaix SL3 and its the best bike I have ever owned...amazing bike with perfect balance of uber stiffness and yet unusual muting of poor road conditions. The bike has no hashness and yet has great energy transfer...a hard balance to achieve.
Word is...the SL4 is even better and not sure how they did this.

I considered the R3 OP...and like it and could ride one. Roubaix has a slightly taller head tube. I am not much of a fan of Cervelo's constant sta throughout their frame sizing. I believe Cervelo discontinued the RS which was their version of the Roubaix. The R3 has a slightly higher mod lay up I believe. I just believe the Roubaix has a better ride and the same snappy accleration.

As to Pinarello. I am of the mind that the Italian heritage and cache do not transfer to carbon fiber bikes. This is only my opinion based up my riding experience. I don't believe the undeniable old world craftsmanship it takes to make a steel bike is the same as the tech it takes to make carbon fiber.
I believe companies like Look, Specialized, Cervelo, Trek, Giant and maybe even Cannondale have the best carbon fiber technology...Look was one of the innovators of CF and came forward with many of the advances today in varying lay up and differentiated section shape to create targeted flex throughout the frame. To me Specialized leads the field in overall R&D today.

All said, there are no losers in your choices OP. If I were you, I would partly base your decision on geometry. But before you decide, take a Roubaix SL4 down a rough road hammering at 25mph and then the others.

darb...you mention you are handing down your R3. Can you comment on your earlier observations of the R3 versus SL4?

Last edited by Campag4life; 04-13-13 at 05:08 AM.