View Single Post
Old 04-14-13, 08:44 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 2,003 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
On the short (120mm) cassette, I would think we could take apart an 8 speed Shimano/SRAM cassette and using the same spacers come up with a 6 speed cog set. I have some 8 speed cassettes I could try this on and see if the stack height is comparable to a 6 speed Ultra spaced freewheel.

The nice thing about this would be the ability to quickly adapt the rear wheel for the riding conditions of the day (if the RD and chain is properly spec'ed to handle the differences. If this works this would be a great alternative wheelset for our C&V 120mm spaced bikes!
I think the 120 mm hub offering is very interesting too. I bought on ebay recently an NOS early Shimano Dura Ace EX freehub set. I have not compared the more modern Shimano hubs to see if the basic cog fitment is the same. It does appear the locking cog is different. I have since found I was lucky, and the early EX hub sets are becoming pricey.

The revived Suntour flanges are lacking a bit in style, (kind of surprised they did not mimic Maxi-car) but I think it is a sound idea to offer a hub to fit 120 and even 126 spaced frames.