Old 04-14-13, 11:12 AM
bigfred 

Bikes: More than 1, but, less than S-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sassonian

But saying that - was also a leap of faith when I bought mine. It's hard to go against the accepted norms... Plenty of people looked at me sideways when I explained the reasoning.... So I was very nervous about forking out all this money on a good sounding idea
Tell me about it. I've been told by riding partners that have never riddern anything longer than 175 that I'm going to "destroy you ability to spin", etc.

But I can't be happier.. Climb better, handle accellerations in races better (jumped 2 racing categories within weeks of getting the bike), and just feel way more comfortable and happy on the bike.

I did find I needed to got to an 11 tooth cog on the cassette - as you do get on top of gears quicker... Started off on a 12 and found I was running out of gears quickly on downhills and at the sharp end of races... But a quick swap to an 11 fixed the problem and have more than enough gearing now. (I also found I got better at spinning after having the long cranks for a while)
What gearing are you using? I'm going to be trading my traditional 130bcd 39/53 X 12/25 for something of the compact or mid-compact variety. Initially I was thinking that mid-compact 36/52 X 12/27 would be enouth additional low range in combination with the longer cranks. Now I find myself considering a full compact 34/50 X 11/28 set. I know cassettes and chainrings can be changed, but, would like to get it right the first time.

It is an adjustment - and will feel very weird to start with - but in saying that - I was immediately faster on the long cranks.
I've heard of adaptation taking everything from 2 weeks to a full year. We'll see how I react. I've e-mailed with one rider who spoke about the need to concentrate on keeping his butt down, while climbing out of the saddle, due to needing to bring his foot 4cm higher at the top of the stroke and retrain his knee about how far it needed to bend.

But saying that - was also a leap of faith when I bought mine. It's hard to go against the accepted norms... Plenty of people looked at me sideways when I explained the reasoning.... So I was very nervous about forking out all this money on a good sounding idea

But I can't be happier.. Climb better, handle accellerations in races better (jumped 2 racing categories within weeks of getting the bike), and just feel way more comfortable and happy on the bike.

I did find I needed to got to an 11 tooth cog on the cassette - as you do get on top of gears quicker... Started off on a 12 and found I was running out of gears quickly on downhills and at the sharp end of races... But a quick swap to an 11 fixed the problem and have more than enough gearing now. (I also found I got better at spinning after having the long cranks for a while)

It is an adjustment - and will feel very weird to start with - but in saying that - I was immediately faster on the long cranks.

I'm really excited to see how this will turn out for you..

Cheers

Adrian.

I'm sure there's going to be an adaptation period. That's largely responsible for my desire to keep my current bike in a ridable state. I would like to be able to swap back and forth if I desire.

I'm really excited to see how this will turn out for you..

Cheers

Adrian.
Me too mate. Me too.