View Single Post
Old 04-16-13, 07:48 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good info here so far.

I own them all and ride clipless 99% of the time. I've used road pedals/shoes and mountain style pedals/shoes for years and years. I have a big collection for all my bikes, riding adventures, and conditions. So I'm going to state the obvious truths as I know them:

-Road bike shoes/pedals are far better for road riding than anything else, but that's all they are good for. Amazing on the bike, awful off the bike.
-Mountain style shoes/pedals are far more versatile and better suited to mountain biking, cyclocross, commuting, winter and general city riding in all conditions. You can walk in them off the bike with a measure of comfort. There are also a lot of styles of shoes for various purposes in this category. I have hard core Mtn shoes, commuter shoes, fall boots, winter boots, and sandals. All are good for different things.

In general shoes are like most things, cost = better performance, longevity, materials and fit. No matter what your budget is, make sure they are comfortable and fit your type of foot when you buy them. They are usually stiffer than regular shoes so you can't expect them to stretch or break in very easily if at all, especially the cheaper models. If they are uncomfortable off the bike they wont be comfortable on the bike either. My preference are Sidi shoes, they are finely crafted in italy and have become one with my foot and last forever. I have 3 pairs. They are stupid expensive and worth it.

Start with some mountain style SPD pedals and some comfy commuter shoes or sandals and get into it and see how you like it.

Last edited by modernjess; 04-16-13 at 07:53 PM.