View Single Post
Old 04-17-13, 08:52 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I love SPD's/mountain/commuter shoe combo on all three of my commuter bikes. Wouldn't change the system, just the shoes when they wear out.
Pedals that I would recommend for commuting/touring/city use.......
Shimano A530.....roadier platform side, work well with vibram five fingers, recently moved to my univega sport our:

Shimano M324's on my mtn bike commuter:

Shimano T780, newest to me, on my Origin8 CX700:

Bunch of different SPD/mountain/commuter shoes over time, here. Use keen austin pedal for winter/business casual and keen commuter sandals in the summer, no socks.

Like a lot of the pearl izumi shoes, though, had 3 pairs. Just got these a couple of weeks ago to replace an aging pair. Found them for $39.99 in my size:

or these, newer model of same shoe:

One thing I prefer..........I use the single direction release SPD cleats(sh51), only, don't care for the multi-release. I have one set of multi-release(sh56) on my keen austin shoes, business casual, casual cycling only. If you are an aggressive rider and used to clipless pedals the single release stay put better and I still find them easy to get out of. I tend to come out of the multi's too easily, especially when worn.
Caused me a couple of uncomfortable situations when I had a lot of leg in the pedal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shimanoa530.jpg (85.4 KB, 11 views)
shimanm324.jpg (37.3 KB, 10 views)
shimanot780.jpg (30.1 KB, 11 views)
olderdriftmodel.jpg (46.4 KB, 11 views)
driftshoes.jpg (37.8 KB, 11 views)
keenaustin.jpg (80.8 KB, 10 views)
keencommutersandals.jpg (86.4 KB, 11 views)