Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by AusTexMurf
keen commuter sandals in the summer, no socks
Wow, those look really cool. I'm a super cheapskate when it comes to shoes, but I scored a pair of Keen shoes for $3.50 from Salvation Army, and they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn! It's like walking in kittens! Plus my feet get hot in the summer, a pair of Keen commuter sandals might just be worth the long green.

One thing I prefer..........I use the single direction release SPD cleats(sh51), only, don't care for the multi-release. I have one set of multi-release(sh56) on my keen austin shoes, business casual, casual cycling only. If you are an aggressive rider and used to clipless pedals the single release stay put better and I still find them easy to get out of. I tend to come out of the multi's too easily, especially when worn.
Caused me a couple of uncomfortable situations when I had a lot of leg in the pedal.
I bought the multi, and they only popped out unexpectedly a few times (but once was bunnyhopping a pothole, fortunately I landed OK) Probably depends on riding style.

For the OP, the difference is that single-direction release cleats disengage by kicking the heel outwards -- it's actually two directions because you can kick the heel outward or inwards, but there's less room in the inwards direction because there's a bike in the middle!

But multi-release cleats will also disengage with a sharp enough pull upwards of the heel. On the plus side, this can give more peace of mind to new clipless riders who feel trapped in the pedals; but as noted above, sometimes aggressive riding will suffer accidental release.